Countries such as the US, Japan, China, UK, and Germany are among a few major investors in fuel cell technology and in its advancements. In 2018, the US Department of Energy announced a USD 39 million investment in fuel cell technology companies for R&D. Similarly, as part of the HyLAW EU Project, 23 European countries worked together to identify and remove legal and administrative obstacles to fuel cell and hydrogen deployment.
The direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC) units are a feasible alternative to other energy sources such as batteries and diesel-powered engines. While DMFC can be refueled within minutes, batteries take hours to recharge. Replacing batteries with DMFC would also eliminate the need for battery charging infrastructure within the facility.
A direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC) is an electrochemical energy conversion device that converts the chemical energy of liquid methanol into electrical energy directly.
Some of the Supportive Policies:
- Japan, the Republic of Korea, France, Spain, The Netherlands each undertook actions to promote hydrogen fuel cells for road transport.
- Increasing Anti-idling laws on diesel trucks in various countries
- More than 14 countries in the world are planning to ban the sale of ICE vehicles by 2035.
The DMFC is gradually replacing batteries for material handling applications in forklift trucks. Increasing awareness about clean energy and demand for zero emission energy sources is driving the demand in the DMFC market. Furthermore, stringent environmental regulations would act as a catalyst in driving the demand in this market, as the regulations would likely to compel countries to shift their primary energy mix towards cleaner fuels, such as fuel cells.
The gradual increase in methanol fuel cell vehicles (DMFC) compared to hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (PEFC) is due to price , storage and state .
|Price of Fuel||1.4 $/Barrel||9.8 $/Barrel|
|State of Fuel||Liquid||Gas|
Direct methanol fuel cells (DMFC) are energy converters and have key features such as simple construction, low operating temperature, and easy storage of methanol fuel.
DMFC are used today in a range of applications, from providing power to homes and businesses, keeping critical facilities like hospitals, grocery stores, and data centers up and running, and moving a variety of vehicles.
DMFC have a number of additional advantages, including:
- Low vibration
- Compact size
- Rapid response to changes in electrical demand
- Low maintenance costs
- Long lifetimes
- Flexibility in installation and operation
Some of the Opportunities:
- Practical alternative to conventional batteries for laptop computers and other portable power applications.
- The DMFC can be used for portable electric power generation, and onboard propulsion systems in automobiles due to its low voltage and high energy density.
Some of the Restraints:
- Lack of Commercialization.
- Operational constraints along with the availability of other fuel cell systems hamper growth.
Some of the Challenges:
- High cost compared to Li-ion batteries.
- The DMFC did not satisfy zero carbon emissions at low operating conditions.
Some of the Recent Developments:
- In January 2021, Ronald Gumpert released the DMFC car.
- Blue World Technologies is in collaboration with AIWAYS, a Shanghai-based personal mobility provider – developing a methanol fuel cell system that acts as a range extender for the AIWAYS U5 all-electric SUV.
The global direct methanol fuel cell market comprises sales of direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC) that use them for back up and storage applications utilities, industrial and residential, and commercial projects projects. Sales of direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC) in portable instruments and fuel cell vehicles.
Blackridge Research’s Global Direct Methanol Fuel Cell (DMFC) Market report provides insights into the current global and regional market demand scenario and its outlook.
The study presents a detailed analysis of various factors that affect direct methanol fuel cell market revenue. The study also comprehensively analyses the direct methanol fuel cell market by segmenting it based on geography (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Rest of the World), based on type (Serpentine flow field design, Multi-Serpentine flow field design, Parallel flow field design), based on end-user () and based on Application (Portable, Stationary, Transportation).
The report also addresses present and future market opportunities, market trends, developments, and the impact of Covid-19 on the solar inverter market, critical commercial developments, trends, regions, and segments poised for the fastest-growing, competitive landscape.
Further, the report will include global direct methanol fuel cell market size (CAGR), demand forecast, growth rates, exports, and imports.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Research Scope and Methodology
3. Market Analysis
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Market Dynamics
- 3.2.1. Drivers
- 3.2.2 Restraints
- 3.3 Market Trends & Developments
- 3.4 Analysis of Covid-19 Impact
- 3.5 Market Opportunities
- 3.6 Market Size and Forecast
4. Industry Analysis
- 4.1 Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.2 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
5. Market Segmentation & Forecast
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Serpentine flow field design
- 5.1.2 Multi-Serpentine flow field design
- 5.1.3 Parallel flow field design
- 5.2 By Power Rating
- 5.2.1 Less than 1KW
- 5.2.2 1 KW- 5 KW
- 5.2.3 Above 5 KW
- 5.3 By Application
- 5.3.1 Portable
- 5.3.2 Stationary
- 5.3.3 Transportation
6. Regional Market Analysis
- 6.1 North America
- 6.2 Europe
- 6.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.4 Rest of the World
7. Key Company Profiles
- 7.1 Antig Technology Co. Ltd
- 7.2 Fujikura Ltd.
- 7.3 Polyfuel Inc.
- 7.4 SFC Energy AG
- 7.5 Sharp Corporation
- 7.6 Blue world Technologies
- 7.7 Ronald Gumpert
- 7.8 SerEnergy A/S
- 7.9 Gencell
- 7.10 Aiways
8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1 List of Notable Players in the Market
- 8.2 M&A, JV, and Agreements
- 8.3 Market Share Analysis
- 8.4 Strategies of Key Players
9. Conclusions and Recommendations
List of Tables & Figures
This report helps to:-
- Equip yourself with rigorous analysis and forward-looking insight into the Direct Methanol Fuel Cell market across various regions
- Gain an understanding of uncertainty and discover how the most influential growth drivers and restraints in the regions will impact market development
- Assess market data and forecasts to understand how the demand for different segments evolve over the next five years
- Gain a comprehensive view of the emerging market trends and developments to assess market opportunities
- Be better informed of your competition by gaining access to detailed information and analysis of key industry players.
- Keep on top of M&A developments, JV’s and other agreements to assess the evolving competitive landscape and enhance your competitive position.
Who need this report?
- OEMs, Contract Manufacturers & Suppliers
- Utilities & IPPs
- Raw Materials & Component Suppliers
- Investor Community
- Government Bodies & Industry Organizations
Report – Global Direct Methanol Fuel Cell Market Outlook to 2026
Market Data – Global Heat Meters Market Outlook to 2026
About Blackridge Research & Consulting
Blackridge Research & Consulting is a premier market research and consulting organization covering the Global energy transformation. The company provides an objective, independent and holistic view of the markets and presents critical insights essential to help clients make better business decisions and develop transformational business growth strategies.
Key offerings include:
• Market Research Reports
• Custom Research Services
• Global Project Tracker Service
• Solar Intelligence Hub
• Wind Intelligence Hub
To get in touch with us, please use visit the Contact Us page.