Increasing use of consumer electronics, the rapid growth of the EV market, growing demand for backup at data centers and Telecommunications, and the inherent benefits of Li-ion batteries (high energy density, zero memory effect, and almost non-existent self-discharge) is expanding the Li-ion battery market. Rising emphasis on deploying renewable sources of energy is driving research and applications of Lithium-Ion battery as an Energy Storage System (ESS) to increase reliability and dispatchability.
A battery is a device that stores energy and then discharges it by converting chemical energy into electricity. It primarily consists of a cathode, anode, and electrolyte. Numerous batteries exist based on the varying chemical composition of the battery. Li-ion battery is one such battery in which Li ions flow from the anode to the cathode through the electrolyte, usually an ether. The anode for lithium-ion cells is a carbon compound with a graphite cathode of Lithium oxide. Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt is the most used chemistry for Li-ion batteries, while Nickel-Aluminium-Cobalt accounts for the rest. The intensifying ubiquity of the TWS (True Wireless Stereo) applications, Smart systems (Smart meters, smart transportation, smart security), and the electric tool market contribute to the expansion of the Li-ion battery applications. The main battery factories in Europe are located in Poland and Hungary. Announced capacity could yield up to 400 GWh by 2025.
A key application of Lithium-Ion Batteries (LIB) is acting as the power source in Electric Vehicles. In the first half of 2021 the global sales of Electric vehicles increased by 160% to 2.6 million units in comparison to the previous year. However, range anxiety, ride/car sharing, lack of infrastructure, micro-mobility, and public transportation offer potential challenges to EVs and thereby to the Lithium-ion battery market.
Supply Chain Analysis
The green transition to renewable energy and electrification of vehicles increases the demand for critical minerals, semiconductors, and high-capacity batteries. An EV requires six times more critical minerals than a conventional vehicle. The lithium-ion battery market is forecasted to grow exponentially by 2030 due to their deployment in EVs and stationary storage. China is the leading producer of lithium-ion batteries with a global capacity of 77% marking it a key player in the supply chain. High dependence on a few countries for such critical components is not sustainable, a fact well proven when the COVID crisis disrupted the supply chain globally. The EU and the US face similar challenges in developing a domestic supply chain for such critical materials/technologies. In June 2021, the EU-US Trade and Technology Council was established to focus on cooperation in supply chains.
To strengthen the strategic supply chain, the European Commission has launched the European Battery Alliance (EBA) in 2017 and the European Raw Materials Alliance (ERMA) in 2020. The European Commission has mobilized combined public and private investments of EUR 8.2 and EUR 11.9 billion for two key projects in concord with the EBA. The ERMA focuses on reducing dependency on other countries, diversifying sources, responsible sourcing, and circularity.
Numerous policies have been implemented to support and strengthen the Battery Supply Chain in the EU and UK.
- The UK government is set to fund over GBP 30 million to support research in battery technology, the EV supply chain, and Hydrogen vehicles.
Cornish Lithium – Trelavour Hard Rock Lithium Scoping Study [Cornwall] is one of the studies funded through the Automotive Transformation Fund. This study will assess the feasibility of developing a sustainable supply chain in the UK for Lithium Hydroxide from a source in St. Austell.
Apart from the study, the Faraday Institution will use the funding to explore battery safety, solid-state LIBs, recycling, and reusing batteries to improve the sustainability of the automotive supply chain.
- Italian Ecobonus: In January 2021, the Italian government allocated EUR 120 million for low emission vehicles through the Ecobonus in 2021 and EUR 50 million for commercial vehicles. The Italian government has been offering incentives in the Ecobonus scheme since 2019.
- The Swedish government has proposed SEK 500 million for 2021 and SEK 550 million for 2022 in funding for charging infrastructure for heavy vehicles.
Planned Plants in Europe
- SVOLT — It has plans for a cell factory with 24 GWh installed capacity at Überherrn.
- Northvolt — Northvolt, in concord with Volkswagen, is set to build a second factory to commence production in 2024 with an initial capacity of 16 GWh.
United Kingdom Policies that impact the Lithium-ion battery market
The UK government is committed to phase out the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions at the tailpipe for all new cars and vans by 2035. The UK government targets to achieve net-zero Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050. In the “Electric vehicle smart charging consultation” undertaken by the UK govt in 2019, the government stated that its overarching aim was to maximize the use of smart charging technology. All these commitments and steps undertaken by the government attest to the strengthening EV ecosystem, which is heavily dependent on LIBs.
The UK government has legislated that all new homes and offices should have EV chargers in a first of its kind. New office blocks would need to install a charging point for every five parking spaces. In addition, all new charging points would have to deploy smart charging technology.
Blackridge Research’s Europe Lithium-ion battery Market report provides insights into the current European market demand scenario and its outlook.
The study offers a detailed analysis of various factors instrumental in affecting the Lithium-ion battery market’s growth. The study also comprehensively analyses the European Lithium-ion battery market by segmenting it based on geography (United Kingdom, Germany, France, Rest of Europe) and by application (Consumer batteries, Electric Vehicle Batteries, and Energy Storage Systems).
The report also addresses present and future market opportunities, market trends, developments, and the impact of Covid-19 on the European Lithium-ion battery market, critical commercial developments, trends, regions, and segments poised for the fastest growth, competitive landscape.
Further, the report will provide the Europe lithium-ion battery market size, demand forecast, growth rates, and trade (imports and exports).
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Research Scope and Methodology
3. Market Analysis
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Market Dynamics
- 3.2.1. Drivers
- 3.2.2 Restraints
- 3.3 Market Trends & Developments
- 3.4 Analysis of Covid-19 Impact
- 3.5 Market Opportunities
- 3.6 Market Size and Forecast
4. Industry Analysis
- 4.1 Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.2 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
5. Market Segmentation & Forecast
- 5.1 By Application
- 5.1.1 Consumer Batteries
- 5.1.2 Electric Vehicle Batteries
- 5.1.3 Energy Storage Systems
- 5.1.4 Others
6. Regional Market Analysis
- 6.1 United Kingdom
- 6.2 Germany
- 6.3 France
- 6.4 Rest of Europe
7. Key Company Profiles
- 7.1 Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited (CATL)
- 7.2 Panasonic Electronics
- 7.3 Samsung SDI Co., Ltd.
- 7.4 LG Energy Solution
- 7.5 SVOLT
- 7.6 Saft Groupe S.A.
- 7.7 Envision AESC
- 7.8 Inobat Auto
- 7.9 SKI Innovation Co
- 7.10 Northvolt AB
8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1 List of Notable Players in the Market
- 8.2 M&A, JV, and Agreements
- 8.3 Market Share Analysis
- 8.4 Strategies of Key Players
9. Conclusions and Recommendations
List of Tables & Figures
This report helps to:-
- Gain a deeper understanding of the European Lithium-Ion battery market.
- Equip yourself with rigorous analysis and forward-looking insight into the European Lithium-Ion battery market across various regions
- Gain an understanding of uncertainty and discover how the most influential growth drivers and restraints in the regions will impact market development
- Assess market data and forecasts to understand how the demand for Lithium-Ion battery technologies and applications evolve over the next five years
- Gain a comprehensive view of the emerging market trends and developments to assess market opportunities
- Be better informed of your competition by gaining access to detailed information and analysis of key industry players.
- Keep on top of M&A developments, JV’s and other agreements to assess the evolving competitive landscape and enhance your competitive position.
Who need this report?
- Battery manufacturers
- Energy Storage/Battery Component Suppliers
- Raw Material Suppliers
- Automobile Companies
- Inverter Companies
- Generator Set OEMs
- Investor Community
- Financing Companies
- Government Bodies & Industry Organizations
- Energy Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) firms
- Other Stakeholders
Report – Europe Lithium-Ion Battery Market Outlook to 2026.
Market Data – Europe Lithium-Ion Battery Market Outlook to 2026.
About Blackridge Research & Consulting
Blackridge Research & Consulting is a premier market research and consulting organization covering the Global energy transformation. The company provides an objective, independent and holistic view of the markets and presents critical insights essential to help clients make better business decisions and develop transformational business growth strategies.
Key offerings include:
• Market Research Reports
• Custom Research Services
• Global Project Tracker Service
• Solar Intelligence Hub
• Wind Intelligence Hub
To get in touch with us, please use visit the Contact Us page.